Literally “Tri” means three and “Katu ” means pungent taste. This preparation is made from three pungent ingredients namely Shunthi, Pippla and Marich. Thus, this can be regarded as the combination of three spices and is also used as flavouring agent on kitchens.
|Ingredients||Latin Name||Parts used||Proportion|
|Shunthi||Zingiber officinale||Dry rhizome||1 Part|
|Pippla||Piper longum||Fruit||1 part|
|Maricha||Piper nigrum||Fruit||1 Part|
Method Of Preparation:
All the ingredients as mentioned above are made into fine powder and mixed up homogeneously and stored in a closed tight container.
1-3 gram two to three times a day.
Properties And Uses:
1. It is hot in action and pungent in taste.
2. Due to its dipana and pachana action it is used in various gastrointestinal disorders like anorexia, indigestion, flatulence.etc.
3. Due to its kasa-swasahara action, it is used in cough and asthma.
4. Due to its medhoghna action, it is used in obesity.
5. It is also a good rasayan. It stimulates lungs and helps in relieving cough, bronchitis, pneumonia, and cold.
6. It has anti-allergic property so is used in allergic rhinitis.
7. Due to its hot and pungent action, it is used in nasal blockage and congestion.
8. This preparation is also commonly used in Kitchens as a flavoring agent.
1. This preparation should be used under ayurveda physician.
2. Some people may find difficulty in taking this medicine due to its pungent taste. So, in such case it should be taken with honey.
3. Sometimes signs of gastric irritation like abdominal burning sensation, nausea, abdominal discomfort may be felt by the patients after taking this preparation. In such cases, stop the medicine and consult the ayurveda physician nearby.
4. Pittaj prakriti person shouldn’t take it.
5. Patient with Thyroid disorders, chronic gastritis, duodenal ulcers, ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome should consult to ayurveda physician before taking it.
6. Pregnant and lactating mother mustn’t use this without consultation.
7. It shouldnot be used in patients taking ATT, it reduces the bioavability of rifampicin.(Source:Pubmed:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10363842)
Researches in Trikatu churna: